8.19.2009

Bare necessities...

See full size image See full size imageSee full size image



As I am sure that you already know, my days are filled with taking care of my 3 and a half week old baby (and loving every minute of it!). However, I found it pretty necessary to take time out from my REST time (when he naps) to blog about something very important (you know it's important if I am giving up my rest time :)). Haha. It's probably not that important to many people, but for you expecting moms - or mother's of small babies - you might be interested.
Since Knox has joined the fam, I have had many pregnant people ask me what are some things that I found to be necessities in the early stages. Every single time I answer with the following 2 items (and my husband is quick to give these answers as well). First would be the MIRACLE BLANKET, and let me tell ya...this puppy has worked a miracle for us. Pretty much, it's a swaddle blanket...but one that works amazingly well for many people. It has extra compartments to fold arms, legs, etc. so that they are SURE not to come unswaddled. Knox slept for 6 hours at a time for the first 2 weeks (now it's a different story...more like 4 hours at a time. He's pretty much an eating machine, and no swaddle can fix that :)). Anyways, we are certain that his sleeping habits are largely due to this wonderful invention. I have had girls tell me that their swaddle blanket wasn't really that great, and then they ordered this beautiful item and fell in love. I know different things work for different babies, but if you are looking for a good blanket...I think you should give this a try!
Second...the WubbaNub. Yes, I said wubbaNub. Sounds crazy, but it's a pacifier. Let me just say that I know some people don't believe in or like pacifiers, but we are definitely a pacifying family over here and have found this to be fantastic. It all started years ago when my sister had her precious girls. I saw the crazy looking pacifier that they used and was like, "What in the world????" My sister then told me that they had researched and found the perfect paci (for them), and that I would thank her for it someday when I had my own children. Boy, was she right (she seems to be right about most baby related subjects :))! These WubbaNubs look a little crazy, but the animal that is attached helps to keep the pacifier in the baby's mouth, allowing them not to get frustrated or wake up like some do when a regular paci falls out. Knox LOVES his green froggy, and when he is awake during the day and has it in his mouth, he likes to hold the frog with his hands. It's really cute!
O.K., that's that. I definitely don't want to sound like I know what I am doing as a first time mom (just ask my sister, Cathie, or Danielle...they will vouch for me as I flood them with baby questions all day long), but I did want to share 2 things that have really been awesome for us, and I hope I can help some people out along the way, and possibly help them have a great experience like we have thus far!
Check out the following links below to see the items that I am raving about!

http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of either of those. I might have to try those with baby #2! And girl, don't worry about the questions-you can ask me as many as you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree on the miracle blanket. That was the VERY BEST purchase that we have made since Hayes was born! We didn't get it until she was 4 1/2 weeks and the 1st time we used it she slept through her first night time feeding and didn't wake up for about 5 hours straight-of course I was awake though waiting for her to wake up any minute!! So it definitely worked for our baby too! Never heard of that paci though-I need to look at that website and see what it's about. Although Hayes is a thumbsucker now and prefers that over the paci these days. Glad to see you're alive and surviving!! miss you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got sooooo excited when I saw the title of this post! I love that these are kind of the "lesser known items" too. I'm definitely going to invest in a miracle blanket - sounds like it works miracles :) Thanks for the advice and if you think of any other basics that you couldn't live without (other than the normal basics) pass that info along too - I'm a sponge- soaking it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can attest to the miracle-ness of this blanket! I wish we'd had it the day Reese was born! If she was a paci kinda girl, I'm sure that Wubbanub would be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete