3.22.2009

Opening Day!!


Well, if I wasn't excited enough about having a boy, this weekend's Opening Day for my nephew, Braden, took it to a whole new level. If you know me, you know I LOVE sports and the competition that comes along with it. It just runs in my blood...
This year my brother asked me if I would keep the score book for the team (he is the coach). It's been quite a few years since I have done that, but I was up for the challenge! Dad was coming to town so I figured between him, Lee, and myself... we could handle it. Saturday morning came and we arose early from our beds (a little too early for some...sorry Uncle Lee!), and headed to
the field ready to start the glorious season. Since it's Pratville, parents are quite serious about the sporting events that take place around here. The park was VERY crowded and most parents had the matching team shirt with their child's name or number on the back (I know, I know...but don't doubt for a second that I won't have one with Knox!). Competition filled the air...
The game started off great, and between the 3 of us, we were able to keep the score book correctly. Now listen, I have always loved watching Braden play baseball, but was a little shocked at how some of the people acted at the games...I mean, it's little league. However, this year (much to my surprise) I found myself JUMPING up and down on the bleachers, YELLING out where the next play should be, disagreeing with the umpire, and totally embarrassing my husband along the way. All he could do was stand with some of my family off to the side and laugh at me. Ha ha. Good thing his love for me is unconditional.
Here's where I wanted to brag about Braden...He hit a double his first at bat, a triple his second at bat, and RIPPED a HOME RUN opposite field his third at bat! I could NOT believe it. I was
SPASTIC! Something deeeeeep within me just came out when I saw him running those bases. He had like 5 RBI's and he even made an awesome play at second base to get our team out of the inning when the bases were loaded. Incredible. I acted like I was watching a Major League baseball game out there. I am so very proud of him, and I can't wait to watch him again! It made me so ready for Knox to get here. I know that we will have a few years before he can play sports...but that's probably a good thing- It will give my husband time to adjust to my craziness!

3 comments:

  1. you have a blog! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can SO picture this. I just had a flashback to the days of intramural softball! FUNNY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hopefully Lee will be able to adjust to the competiveness spirit you have. :) I love it. I am the same way.

    ReplyDelete