8.23.2010

Curve Ball

Most of you have seen the news on facebook. For those of you who haven't yet, the news is this: looks like our sweet baby boy Greer is going to be a sweet baby girl Greer??? I know what you are thinking. What in the world?!?!? I have heard of people thinking it was a girl and then finding out it was a boy, but not the other way around. Here is how it went down...

For the past month or so I have been having some really bad pains on the right lower side of my abdomen. The docs and I just figured it was growing pains from everything stretching and expanding. Well, they got really ad this weekend and we had to leave church early yesterday. I laid on the couch all day and then we went to community group. When we got home I was putting Knox in his crib and the pain hit me so hard that my knees buckled and Lee had to pretty much catch Knox. I rolled around and screamed a bit, and it scared both Lee and Knox. Lee wanted to go to the ER, but I opted just to call the on-call doctor and try to wait it out until this morning. I went in and heard the heartbeat, which was strong-praise the Lord, they checked me, which was pretty sore, and then they did an ultrasound to check for cysts or fibroids. I am going to have to give you a play by play of the conversation between the tech and I:

Tech: "OK, well, everything looks really good and the baby looks healthy. I don't see any cysts on your ovaries. The baby is in a ball on the right side of your stomach, so it could be touching a nerve or something. I see that you have your big gender reveal ultrasound appt on Thursday. Do you want to wait until then since your husband isn't here? (Lee was at home while Knox napped. We are only 2 blocks from the hospital so he wasn't far if he needed to come up there)

me: "Nah. We can go ahead and do it so that I don't have to come back on Thursday. We cheated and found out the sex early at Virginia College School of Ultrasound in Birmingham, so he isn't missing anything too important."

tech:"Oh! You know the sex?! Well, don't tell me. I want to be surprised when I find it."

**a few minutes goes by while she checks everything out and measures, and then she starts a high pitch squeal...

tech: "DID they tell you that you were having a little girl!!!!!!!?"

me: (in a high pitched squeal) "NO!! They told me I was having a little boy!"

So then the tech gets straight faced and is like "are you serious?" She kept me on the table for what seemed like an hour and kept looking and looking. She was nervous to keep telling me that it was a girl because she knew that I was so excited about 2 boys close in age...

tech: "Regan...I am looking and looking for that penis but it's no where to be found..."

***I am seeing the entire thing and there is definitely not a penis. All I kept thinking was "Where the crap did the penis go???? I've got new boy bedding sitting at my house and have already purchased baby boy stuff for Greer!" I thought that at any second she would say, "There it is!" but no ma'am. She printed off the pictures and gave them to me, and took one to show the doctors and nurses. They all giggled and said "Oh Regan...this is a textbook picture of a girl ultrasound." I asked why I was told that it was a boy to begin with and all they could think was that since I was 15 weeks pregnant and 2 students performed the ultrasound, maybe they though the cord was the penis, or something else? It's so strange. Almost as if I don't know what to believe. I mean, I feel like I should side with my doctors office and the experienced technician. I mean, talk about a curve ball!

So, after everyone there laughed at me for a good bit (in a joking way), I then called everyone. No one believes me...until I show them the picture. Then they are like "oh my! Where is the penis?" Thats what I'm screaming. My sweet, sweet husband. Poor guy. As we were sitting silently across from each other at lunch picking at our food because we still could not believe it, he says this to me... (sorry for the inappropriateness...but it's too funny NOT to share)...

Lee: (he's been quiet and thinking really hard for a few minutes) "Maybe the 3 lines we are seeing is this: his penis is wrapped around and stuck in between his butt cheeks, squishing his balls down the middle. Therefore making it ball-penis-ball and it just looks like 3 lines???"

HAHAHA. I totally spit my drink out across the table when he said that! Only him!

SO...thats where we are. Many friends have called and asked if I was "O.k" since they knew I was pumped about 2 boys. Heres the skinny on that. With this pregnancy I have gone back and forth a little on which one I preferred. I already have a boy and I am such a tomboy that I have been so excited to hear we are having brothers. But honestly, if it is a girl, then I know that I will love her just as much. God is good and he knows exactly what we need.We should probably be in prayer over my husband, though. I think he is really hoping it will come out a boy! The thought of raising a little girl scares him to death.

So, I will leave you with the ultrasound picture. Let me know if you think pink or blue...


(Sorry. dont know how to turn it, but you get the picture...)

Here is Knox's ultrasound at 18 weeks...

7 comments:

  1. Ummm girl. Girl. Girl. Totally girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regan!! That is so crazy! what a story! Tell Lee not to be scared-that baby girl will have him wrapped in 2 seconds. And I'm no good at ultrasound pics-I have no idea how people can read those things for a living, but I'd go w/the dr's office opinion for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! Either way, what a fun story!! I hope you haven't ordered anything too big that isn't gender-neutral!

    Also, Lee's comment...HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud over your comments!! Good to keep your sense of humor at such a time as this! Aunt B can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing hysterically at Lee! That is hilarious. It must have been some serious thinking for him to come up with that! Congratulations on a sweet girl! Based on the picture, I definitely think a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story!!! I've never met Lee, but I feel safe in saying that he'll be a great daddy to your little girl. NONE of us know what we're doing with ANY of them in the beginning - talk about building the plane as you fly it. He'll look great sitting at a little table with a funny hat sipping tea and talking to her stuffed animals. You guys are so blessed! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regan...by far, one of the funniest stories I've ever read...I'm SO glad you shared the play-by-play. Shane pee'd his pants when I told him Lee's theory. Totally awesome. That is definitely a little gIna. Looks exactly like both of mine (both of my girl's, that is...) looked :)

    ReplyDelete