8.19.2010

Mother's Day Out

I have been putting this day off for a VERY long time now. I knew that it needed to happen, but I really wasn't sure if I wanted it to. Here's the thing about Foxie. He has a little attachment issue, and has had it for some time now. He isn't use to being anywhere without me and he will definitely make it known when he has to go to the church nursery. Lee has to be the one that drops him off. He usually clams down once he is in there and playing, but the drop off portion can be painful on your eardrums. Anyways, I am so very thankful that I have the opportunity for now to be at home with him and watch him learn new things and grow on a daily basis, but we also knew that he needed to get in a Mother's Day Out program where he could get use to playing with other children and teachers and feel comfortable without me...especially since baby Greer will be here in January. We have really been praying so much for his attachment issue, and praying about where he should attend since our own church doesn't have a program. When I called the church, they said they only allow 5 kids in the class and that they had been booked up for some time...until the morning I called. Someone had to withdrawl due to a last minute move. Thank you, Lord, for clearly opening doors for us! SO...with that being said, Foxie Knoxie had his first day at Mother's Day Out today! He attends a super sweet church in downtown Fairhope, which is only a few minutes from the house. He will go on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 1, and after ALL the orientations and Meet the Teachers that occurred at the beginning of the week, we feel very comfortable with him attending. I really really like his teacher. She is super sweet and energetic, and loves babies, so thats always a plus :). On the way to his first day this morning, I felt a little guilty and sad, wondering if I am making the right decision by sending him instead of spending every waking moment with him before the baby comes. I cried a little, and then I sucked it up and reminded myself that this really will be the best thing...for everyone. Lee has been with me through the entire process this week so I was able to get a few pictures, but he had to leave early this morning and so I don't have any good pics from today...just ones from my phone.

Here we are at "Meet the Teacher" and see your classroom day. Notice his little name on the apple :):




He had no problems getting down and playing with the room FULL of toys, and he was especially fond of this little gadget...


He loves all things mobile. Especially cars. I am so glad that he got down and played with the toys while we were there, and didn't chose to hold on to my leg the entire time. This morning he must have been super excited about his first day because he woke up an HOUR early! He usually sleeps until 7:45-8:00 strong, and today he decided that he would rise and shine at 6:45. Nice. I got him up and fed and bathed, and then we played for a bit. I decided to be weird and take some first day of school photos from my phone so I could send them to daddy and the rest of my family. Speaking of the rest of my family, everyone is being so funny about this and treating it as his first day of real school. We had a family dinner last night in honor of Foxie's big day, and emails came early this morning requesting some school boy pics. Yes, I realize it sounds crazy, but this kiddo has been with us ever day of his life and this is the first time for him to be in a program like this, so it was a big deal to us :). Here are some pics from this morning (from the Iphone, sorry)...

little clothes and lunchbox:

Getting out of the car and watching all the other kids walk in with their parents:

And I totally thought that he was going to give a big fight when I dropped him off. You want to know what he did? I put him down, and he walked right up to this puppy:


Yep, he didn't even cry or shed one tear when I left. Mommy, on the other hand...

I went to meet some sweet friends from community group for breakfast. A lot of us have kids that started school for the first time this year, so we had a little support group meeting. Ha. Not really. We ended up laughing and laughing as usual. Love those girls and I am so thankful for their friendships. It would have been even more perfect if Cathie could have been there (miss you, friend!)!

When I went to pick Knox up, he was CASHED OUT in one of the workers arms. I couldn't believe it. They said he played hard and his favorite time of the day was a tie between going outside and lunch time. Now THAT I could believe!

He came home and ate some more, and now he is tucked away for his afternoon nap. All in all it was a good day. I hope the trend continues!

3 comments:

  1. You handled it way better than I, friend!! I - who take pictures of EVERYTHING - was too devastated to take the first pic of Anna Lee on her first day or at any of her open house things. I cried - more like sobbed - when I dropped her off. Thankfully, I have a SANE husband who constantly reminds me that there are a lot of positives of "school". I need those reminders desperately. Glad Knox is enjoying it. Anna Lee loves it too...she's way braver than her her mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are coming up on our 1st day of mother's morning out as well! And I am sure I will cry like a baby! I can completely relate to Knox being with you on a daily basis. True for Jeremiah and he is over 2! He looks so cute in his 1st day of "school" outfit. I'm so glad he did well. Each day will get easier and easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for Knoxie!! You are definitely doing the right thing. We are having big time attachment issues right now, and MDO starts in just 2 weeks for us! It is so good for them though-and YOU will look forward to and enjoy those days of free time sooooo much, AND it will give you some good 1 on 1 time when little Greer gets here! Love the 1st outfit and lunchbox-so precious. He's getting too big! Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete