1.04.2010

"Chef boyarRegan"

SIKE!!!!!!!!! I am definitely not a chef. At all. However, the new year has brought new desires, my friends. Looks like ole' Regs is making a commitment (or shall I dare say-new year's resolution) to grow and branch out in the area of culinary...
Here is a quick story for you. The hubs got me an iPhone last month, and I honestly didn't know what I was going to do with it (I am seriously challenged when it comes to technology). But after many hours of trying to learn the durn thing, I have downloaded an app that has tons of healthy recipes...MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!! So, this morning I was totally excited to sit down and write out my grocery list for the week. I have decided that I will try 2 new recipes a week until...well...I don't know, either Lee straight up tells me it's horrible or he starts wanting to take me to dinner every night. I noticed one of my recipes called for a ton of spices, so I just thought "golden! I already have those!!" I have actually used spices here and there for simple recipes throughout our married life, so I was pretty pumped to deepen my relationship with them. Then, I was talking to my sister (surprise), and it dawned on me. I asked Robyn, "How long do spices last?" She replied, "About a year. Most have an expiration date at the bottom." Ladies and gentleman, the thought never occurred to me that spices could expire AND I HAVE BEEN USING THE SAME SPICE RACK THAT SOMEONE GAVE ME THE MONTH WE GOT ENGAGED! We just celebrated out 3 year anniversary last month, so that means that the spices were about 4 years old. Nice. I am such a loser and I definitely just confessed it on the blog. O'well. Anyone want to come over for dinner?? :)

2 comments:

  1. girl, i have spices that are old and use them and they are fine. Just smell them, if they don't smell strong then they aren't good. That's how i tell. Paula Deen might slap my hand for it but oh well! I'll send you some of my easy favorites that don't have lots of spices in them :).

    ReplyDelete